Tuesday 9 October 2012

Windy, wet and horny!


That about covers Shetland for this year; a place where the wind never stops, the rain is wet and the sun a watery pastiche of what we have doon south.  Half the year in darkness and the other half with no night its a surprise that Shetlanders aren't all a bit strange and bumping into things, but they are not.  A friendlier bunch you couldn't meet.


I've come back a more rounded birder: not because of the tireless enthusiasm of Mr Garner and his masterclasses of observation and ID, more due to the excessive amounts of food I put away.


We didn't find much, I found lots of toast, but that looks a good deal better than the poor fare they are having this week.  We did, however, did catch up with some cracking avian delights on our travels through the archipelago.


Seven lifers, plus the Hornemann's, and an additional few year ticks to put me within sniffing distance of the finishing line. Hopefully Scilly will have a run of good stuff towards the end of next week and I might be tempted to strain the last bit of credit and goodwill out of my cards and hoof it off down west.


You've seen it all before, and better, elsewhere, but I am afraid I have tons of this stuff so close your eyes now!


A quick hello to my other companions on the trip Nicole, Andy and Allan and a big thankyou to Martin and Brydon for letting me back on the islands again.

No comments:

Post a Comment